Turkish Women Getting Rid Of Headscarves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkish Women Getting Rid Of Headscarves

In spite of 17 years of Islamist rule in Turkey, there is a huge movement against wearing religious headscarves - even from women growing up in that Islamic-friendly environment:

https://ahvalnews.com/women/turkish-...political-camp

What do you think of this trend of women in Turkey which is repudiating the religious position of the government there?

Is hijab really a religious obligation in Islam or is it something that is "imposed" on women? Is hijab a means by which men control women?

Are other regions of the world following Turkey's lead? How successful might such regions be in getting rid of hijab?

I can remember that a turk said me long time ago that wearing headscarves is forbidden in turkey. Therefor many turkish women can follow their OWN religious need to wear headscarves in Germany but not in glorious Turkey.
    As I visited Turkey young women never wore a headscarf in the city. Some women in villages wore one because of sun and dust.
    However I think Arabs dislike Turks and vice versa, because Turks aren't true Muslims for Arabs.
    Therefore I think despite islamisation attempts of Erdogan are religious headscarves not really a big topic in turkey.

Comment

Yes,it is definitely true. They are modern and logical.Since Ataturk has founded modern Turkey, Turkish women are not wearing headscarves.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveSeven View Post
        I can remember that a turk said me long time ago that wearing headscarves is forbidden in turkey.
        It was forbidden to wear headscarves in universities and other public sectors inclusive politics in Turkey until 2007/2013.
        Since 2007 it is not forbidden anymore in universities and since 2013 at all other public sectors as well....also to read in the article. Erdogan lifted the ban with the purpose to bring Islam back to politics.

It was never forbidden to wear headscarves on the street in Turkey.
        In rural areas all women wore headscarves in the early 2000's.
        Last edited by Suna123; 01-22-2019, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aussieinbg View Post
          In spite of 17 years of Islamist rule in Turkey, there is a huge movement against wearing religious headscarves - even from women growing up in that Islamic-friendly environment:

What do you think of this trend of women in Turkey which is repudiating the religious position of the government there?

Is hijab really a religious obligation in Islam or is it something that is "imposed" on women? Is hijab a means by which men control women?

Are other regions of the world following Turkey's lead? How successful might such regions be in getting rid of hijab?
          I'm not convinced it is a serious movement. The generation who is now old enough to make decisions like removing their hijab still experienced a secular education at school.
          This is changing now. More Arabic and Islamic religion in public schools, no evolution biology anymore. Lets see how this generation will turn out in 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Suna123 View Post

It was forbidden to wear headscarves in universities and other public sectors inclusive politics in Turkey until 2007/2013.
            Since 2007 it is not forbidden anymore in universities and since 2013 at all other public sectors as well....also to read in the article. Erdogan lifted the ban with the purpose to bring Islam back to politics.

It was never forbidden to wear headscarves on the street in Turkey.
            In rural areas all women wore headscarves in the early 2000's.
            This article is TLDR and uninteresting.
            However my personal observation is that in turkey wore 10 years ago not that many women headscarves like in Tunisia or Morocco. Hence is the great cultural revolution caused through 'women power' a little bit like a storm in water glass.

Comment

I'm not convinced it is a serious movement. The generation who is now old enough to make decisions like removing their hijab still experienced a secular education at school.
              This is changing now.
              There has been significant pushback against the more overtly religious forms of hijab - one thing to get women to wear decorative scarves, another to get turned into black beetles. From the article:

Recent figures by pollster Konda show that the percentage of woman who say they wear headscarves has remained almost same in the last 10 years at around 53 percent. Those who are not covered increased from 34 percent to 37 percent in a decade, while those who say they wear the more overtly religious hijab decreased by four percent and is now at 9 percent.
              The numbers of highly overt hijab dropped by about 1/3 in 10 years.

Girls forced to wear scaves even at the age of 10, as given as an example, are pushing against hijab. Wearing hijab at the age of 10 some years back, I guess, would have been a sign that the child was receiving a less than secular education even back then.

More Arabic and Islamic religion in public schools, no evolution biology anymore. Lets see how this generation will turn out in 20 years.
              One factor that might go against the trend suggested by the OP is that all the smart, talented, productive secular people are presently leaving Turkey in huge numbers, talked about here at the start of the post:

http://forum.interpals.net/forum/int...90#post3082690

Comment

This article is TLDR and uninteresting.
                The article is everything but uninteresting and gives a good summary about the headscarf-problematic in Turkey today and in recent history.

However my personal observation is that in turkey wore 10 years ago not that many women headscarves like in Tunisia or Morocco. Hence is the great cultural revolution caused through 'women power' a little bit like a storm in water glass.
                I've had the opposite impression and the only women I saw without headscarves have been schoolgirls (it was before the ban was lifted in 2007). I've been visiting only rural areas in Turkey though.

Comment

I've had the opposite impression and the only women I saw without headscarves have been schoolgirls (it was before the ban was lifted in 2007). I've been visiting only rural areas in Turkey though.
                  I suspect that the poster you had responded to probably only hung around the tourist-friendly areas in Turkey such as Taksim in Istanbul or a couple of the beach resorts on the Turkish coast and that's all he saw of Turkey...

Comment

Originally posted by aussieinbg View Post

2 of my 3 sisters don't wear headscarves, one of them among those 2 is wearing hijab while worshipping, so? Headscarves is to ensure social morality among people, to prevent events like forbidden love(cheating) and rape which willalso ensure social peace. So those events are really rare in Turkiye, Turkish women aren't needing to use hijab, and also as of the mentality of "Hijab won't prevent people to commit sins ", people have stopped to use it. All Abrahamic religions' cleric women use a Hijab including nuns.
                    including Jewish women:

Christian women:

Muslim women:

Comment

Originally posted by CaymanWolvon View Post
                      2 of my 3 sisters don't wear headscarves, one of them among those 2 is wearing hijab while worshipping, so? Headscarves is to ensure social morality among people, to prevent events like forbidden love(cheating) and rape which willalso ensure social peace. So those events are really rare in Turkiye, Turkish women aren't needing to use hijab, and also as of the mentality of "Hijab won't prevent people to commit sins ", people have stopped to use it. All Abrahamic religions' cleric women use a Hijab including nuns.
                      including Jewish women:

Christian women:

Muslim women:

You say nuns cover their heads but you know what, nuns have chosen to be religious and are religious figures while in the Islamic world each woman, even if she is not religious, is supposed to cover her head, non religious figures in non Islamic places do not wear any head coverings that is a huge difference. Moreover, in the Islamic world those who aren't religious fear to say they aren't not to face persecution or even worse, death.

Most women do not want to wear any tents as their clothes but they're forced to do so since early childhood in places like Yemen, Saudi, etc...Some conservative parts of Turkey are same as the places I've mentioned - girls, women are forced to cover their heads that is why Turkish women started protesting it but religious fanatics with your type of mindset keep finding for any excuses for hijabs, burqas and other Islamic outfits. Women even go to swim in burqinis in the Islamic part of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Etsia View Post

You say nuns cover their heads but you know what, nuns have chosen to be religious and are religious figures while in the Islamic world each woman, even if she is not religious, is supposed to cover her head, non religious figures in non Islamic places do not wear any head coverings that is a huge difference. Moreover, in the Islamic world those who aren't religious fear to say they aren't not to face persecution or even worse, death.

Most women do not want to wear any tents as their clothes but they're forced to do so since early childhood in places like Yemen, Saudi, etc...Some conservative parts of Turkey are same as the places I've mentioned - girls, women are forced to cover their heads that is why Turkish women started protesting it but religious fanatics with your type of mindset keep finding for any excuses for hijabs, burqas and other Islamic outfits. Women even go to swim in burqinis in the Islamic part of the world.
                        First woman: Hanbali Muslim
                        Second woman: Protestant Christian
                        Third woman: Protestant Christian
                        Find the differences and similarities if which are closer.

Comment

First woman: Hanbali Muslim
                          Second woman: Protestant Christian
                          Third woman: Protestant Christian
                          Find the differences and similarities if which are closer.
                          correction:

second woman: normal woman in swimwear
                          third woman: catholic nun, married with Jesus Christ...content of her life is God and religion. She will never be a mother and can't have a husband (God is her husband).
                          Last edited by Suna123; 01-25-2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

2 of my 3 sisters don't wear headscarves, one of them among those 2 is wearing hijab while worshipping, so? Headscarves is to ensure social morality among people, to prevent events like forbidden love(cheating) and rape which willalso ensure social peace. So those events are really rare in Turkiye, Turkish women aren't needing to use hijab,
                            and when a rape happens to one of your sisters without headscarf it is her fault in your opinion, isn't it?

...and also as of the mentality of "Hijab won't prevent people to commit sins ", people have stopped to use it.
                            of course it doesn't prevent people to commit sins !

Comment

She will never be a mother and can't have a husband (God is her husband).
                              That's called sin of "stipulating for equality" in Islam which is sanctioned by hell, so your nuns are probably going to hell after dying
                              God can't be killed, can't have a gender, can't be seen and can't be spoken, but you can do these to a nun, so how could nuns be as equal as to be wife of God? Have you got an onion instead of brain in your heads or what?
                              A nun is just an ordinary human who you can even take as slave

In Islam, all humans are equal, including prophets and clerics about "sin" subject, anyone has no superioty against another about hereafter subject.

and when a rape happens to one of your sisters without headscarf it is her fault in your opinion, isn't it?
                              Depends on the clothing and behaviors, not only a person could be blamed..my sisters don't wear short skirts except coastal places.. but you're talking like you go to public with your full nude body As far as I know, there is a place in Munich where people hang out nude at streets, yeah? I've had seen it by Turkish press about a 5-6 years ago.

of course it doesn't prevent people to commit sins !
                              who said it does?
                              Last edited by CaymanWolvon; 01-25-2019, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X