Death & Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death & Time

There's a question that keeps pressing on me. What's worse than death if not time itself? Imagine being immortal, you can't die, is it all worth it? Death seems better than time but i don't know :V

When you die, your brain switches off, you lose consciousnes and the sense of conscious - just as you do during certain phases of sleep - and that is all.

Heaven, hell and the life are fairytales either to generate scares or to "provide comfort" to those who are dying.

So, all these notions of "living forever" are all at best highly hypothetical. Still, loads of questions which confine notions of "being around forever" to the realm of science fiction... Let's start:

What do you mean by "is it worth it"?

By what mechanism are you going to store memories - when the number of atoms / subatomic particles in the universe is finite (but still a massive number nevertheless) while time in "infinite"?

Comment

It's so a question about life and not about death.
      You're the smith of your destiny, therefore smart people accept only as closest ones those who bring joy in their life. Destructive and depressive people tend not only to make their existence to nightmare but of people which are close to them. Tyrants die always alone.
      I suppose an immortal individual would learn that earlier or later.

For an immortal would be very likely the aging and passing away of mortals who this individual has loved.
      However I think such an individual would learn this after some pain to accept omnipresent decaying rule of this universe and its own eternity as an anomaly.

Personally I think if humanity survives the next thousand years without extinction of current civilization, the eternal life becomes reality. Of course not that a person survives a nuclear explosion or decapitation but aging and decaying of the body won't be a problem.
      I think it will be the moment to set such questions. If you aren't an alien, vampire or god is thinking too much about something like that very likely a symptom of depression.

Comment

Hurr durr, you think thoughts, something wrong with you.

Comment

Who says time stops after death? Being a cynic by nature can cause me to look grimly at humanity and life, so there are times I cringe at the perpetual calamity of life -- will mankind ever "get it" -- whatever that may be. But then I often catch myself and have to make a decision: will I look solely to the negative of life (or time as you put it), or will I see all aspects of any time I have and learn to grow while I can until I either, as Shaun put it, fall asleep and my brain shuts off (hope the paraphrase is okay Shaun), or I simply am annihilated, or go to an afterlife. Is it worth it, time and life, yes, I actually believe it is...whatever the outcome.
          I imagine if life has little meaning now, an immorality is dull and moot. You aren't the only person to ever think this way. At least you can say you aren't alone, which hopefully is something. Keep searching, don't quit; I believe there is an answer worth finding. I will leave this as a finishing remark, what if there is more to time than linear and cyclic? Happy hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by SeekJustice View Post
            Who says time stops after death? Being a cynic by nature can cause me to look grimly at humanity and life, so there are times I cringe at the perpetual calamity of life -- will mankind ever "get it" -- whatever that may be. But then I often catch myself and have to make a decision: will I look solely to the negative of life (or time as you put it), or will I see all aspects of any time I have and learn to grow while I can until I either, as Shaun put it, fall asleep and my brain shuts off (hope the paraphrase is okay Shaun), or I simply am annihilated, or go to an afterlife. Is it worth it, time and life, yes, I actually believe it is...whatever the outcome.
            I imagine if life has little meaning now, an immorality is dull and moot. You aren't the only person to ever think this way. At least you can say you aren't alone, which hopefully is something. Keep searching, don't quit; I believe there is an answer worth finding. I will leave this as a finishing remark, what if there is more to time than linear and cyclic? Happy hunting!
            Linear and cyclic? is a circle with a very big diameter.

Comment

Working...
            X