Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LDS/Mormons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LDS/Mormons

    It feels like I'm the only Mormon in the planet. Is there any other Mormon or Latter-day Saint member in Interpals? I'm a recent convert.

  • #2
    I don't know how you could believe that shit. It is as ridiculous as Scientology. Don't you have any scene than to convert to Mormonism, or are you just some big mother fucker from the Midwest of the US?

    Comment


    • #3
      You’re a Mormon in Mexico. Were you Catholic before? Why did you adopt Mormonism?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post
        You’re a Mormon in Mexico. Were you Catholic before? Why did you adopt Mormonism?
        I hear there are some weird religious groupd that go to Mexico to continue polygamy or something,

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by _loki View Post

          I hear there are some weird religious groupd that go to Mexico to continue polygamy or something,
          I think it was Giuana and I am not sure that pastor Jones was Mormon..

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't think Jones was Mormon.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by _loki View Post

              I hear there are some weird religious groupd that go to Mexico to continue polygamy or something,
              The Mormons are active in Mexico but are not into polygamy. All the Mexican Mormons I’ve met drank coffee, alcohol and smoked cigarettes! Polygamist Mormon sects are in the USA and Canada.

              Originally posted by Elishar View Post
              I think it was in [Guyana] and I am not sure pastor Jones was Mormon..
              Jim Jones was the leader of a doomsday cult with Christian overtones.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have only met American Mormons. I requested a free Book of Mormon, and then I get a message saying two missionaries would deliver it to me, so I tried to cancel the order, but I came home one day, and two big ass dudes where wear clothes and riding bikes were outside of my apartment. So, i was friendly, and invited them in for dates and Arabic coffee. Then I introduced them to my Muslim roommate lol. I can't believe the one dude who had converted liked the Mormon prophet making all his decisions.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The American politician Mitt Romney's ancestors moved to Mexico when the United States government started cracking down on polygamy. Then some went back north during the Mexican Civil War, but apparently another branch of the family still lives in Mexico.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by _loki View Post
                    I have only met American Mormons. I requested a free Book of Mormon then I got a message saying that two missionnaires would deliver it to me...
                    Used bookshops often have unread copies of the Book of Mormon. It’s better to buy a copy if you’re curious than to subject yourself to proselytizing.

                    Originally posted by bsgsbkht View Post
                    The American politician Mitt Romney's ancestors moved to Mexico when the United States government started cracking down on polygamy. Then some went back north during the Mexican Civil War, but apparently another branch of the family still lives in Mexico.
                    The Mexican Mormons I befriended 30+ years ago were all from the city of Puebla and had Hispanic surnames. They were party animals and not the starched white shirted Mormons that annoy people with door-to-door canvassing. I also have Mormon tenants who have been taking care of a multiplex I own in the city. I didn’t even know they were Mormons until they told me quite by accident. I had been giving them a bottle of champagne each Christmas for years as a thank-you but in 2018 I switched to fancy chocolates as a Christmas gift.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post

                      Used bookshops often have unread copies of the Book of Mormon. It’s better to buy a copy if you’re curious than to subject yourself to proselytizing.
                      I don't mind. It is kinda like watching a commercial or seeing an add. You just sit there and analyze their rhetoric.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by _loki View Post

                        I don't mind. It is kinda like watching a commercial or seeing an add. You just sit there and analyze their rhetoric.
                        You are obviously more patient than I am. I usually tell the Jehovah’s Witnesses who come to my door, “You are emissaries of the Devil!” It works but they keep coming back every few months. My brother in law was so tired of the Witnesses that he answered the door completely naked. The 40-ish woman and her teen daughter were shocked and beat a hasty retreat. This was several years ago and no Witness has ever darkened his front porch since.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Not so patient. I more see them as a rhetorical agent that must be analyzed and understood as a means to defensive and offensive behavior on my part.

                          I'm so shy around Jehovah’s Witnesses. I want to start talking about the Bible and translation theory, but I try to be nice.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by _loki View Post
                            ...

                            I'm so shy around Jehovah’s Witnesses. I want to start talking about the Bible and translation theory, but I try to be nice.
                            You can’t discuss the Bible with them for several reasons:

                            1. Because they are using a spurious translation. Orthodox translations are not credible to them.
                            2. Their “bible” is a secondary document in their religion. Watchtower theology is expounded in their other publications.
                            3. Jesus is not God but a created being.
                            4. Like the Mormons, they are an ersatz Christianity.

                            So if you are really curious, ask them to tell you about Watchtower theology. Just listen, don’t debate.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              for unclear reasons, some of them (JW) paid a visit and preached to me, it lasted 1 year more or less, and people who came keep changing from locals to Japanese, American.
                              i once told them, 'are you not looking for wrong people? there are a mosque in front of my place, you should proselytize them, not me'. I even try to not provide seats to welcome them, but they're still coming. I do not even serve drinking water.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X