Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you know that children intelligence level is inherited from their mother?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know that children intelligence level is inherited from their mother?

Genetic factors from a mother could influence her child intelligence. According to geneticist from UMC Nijmegen Netherlands Dr. Ben Hamel "The influence is so great because the intelligence level of a person is related with the X chromosome from a mother". Therefore, mothers who gave birth to a potentially large intelligent smart kid anyway. "Thus, it is better to have a smart mother rather than a smart father," said Hamel.

So its possible the father, being the male , dominates more in the physical part

Comment

Theoretically , the child intelligence may be strongly influenced by a mother intelligence. However, the phenotype (appearance) that we see not solely the result of genetic factors, but also the result of environment interaction as well.

Comment

so i will have a genius kid, good to know!

Comment

No I didn't know that. But.. are you sure? really? xD

Comment

Is it true in the case of both, males and females? Because I don't see how inheriting intelligence from the mother's X chromosome could be a stable evolutionary strategy for females.

Comment

Thank heavens for that - if my son has inherited his intelligence from his father he would have been stuffed!!!!

Comment

Good job, now if I disagree with that theory people will think I show no respect to my mom's intelligence

Comment

But if they have a daughter then there's an X chromosome from the father, too.

Pretty sure there is genetic influence from both sides and that it's not just linked to sex chromosomes. Also pretty sure that there's plenty of ongoing discussion and disagreement on this matter. Also pretty sure I can't find a source for the claims you posted, so please do share.

In fact I seem to remember having read something about this theory that it's inherited wholly or primarily from the mother's side, basically to the effect that that was made-up ideological propaganda.

Comment

"Any mutation on the X chromosome has more effect on a man than a woman because a woman inherits X chromosomes from both her parents, which tends to dilute the gene's impact. But a man only has one X chromosome inherited from his mother, which is paired with the much smaller Y chromosomes from his father. Therefore, an intelligence-enhancing X gene has more of a chance of becoming the predominate gene, determining the man's basic intelligence, looks and character."

So it seems men would benefit more from having an intelligent mother.

Comment

Just saying.................:lol:

Mzzls

Comment

Originally posted by IwantToBeFree View Post
                        "Any mutation on the X chromosome has more effect on a man than a woman because a woman inherits X chromosomes from both her parents, which tends to dilute the gene's impact. But a man only has one X chromosome inherited from his mother, which is paired with the much smaller Y chromosomes from his father. Therefore, an intelligence-enhancing X gene has more of a chance of becoming the predominate gene, determining the man's basic intelligence, looks and character."

So it seems men would benefit more from having an intelligent mother.
                        Bad spelling and grammar, and the fact that this seems to imply that an intelligence-enhancing trait would determine looks and character, make me want to cry out for a source on this quote.
                        Where did you get this?

Comment

Oh dear god... I was born an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneekie View Post

Just saying.................:lol:

Mzzls
                            Want to point out that even if the claim being made is true, the proper interpretation would be the following:
                            A man with a very stupid mother is probably doomed regardless of his father, and a man with a very clever mother is probably safe regardless of his father.
                            So in other words the conclusion is not that the mother makes the child more intelligent, but that the mother's intelligence displays a stronger relationship with the child's, high or low, than the father's displays.

Comment

The source is probably Intelligence and the X chromosome, from Lancet (1996). In it the author notes how many of the known genes associated with intelligence are found on the X chromosome (something approaching half I think). This goes along with the prior evidence that many intelligence-related traits seem to be X-linked in families. Also, while men and women have the same average IQ, men display more variability, which could be accounted for by having intelligence genes on the X chromosome. And indeed, a boy would benefit from an intelligent mother -- although one should probably take a look at the mother's parents, as one of the X chromosomes may be compensating for the other.

However, as bsgsbkht rightly points out, this makes intelligence more strongly correlated with that of the mother. Many of these intelligence genes have been identified as the sources of mental retardation passed down in families. So if a child is mentally retarded, you can blame the mother -- who can be a carrier without suffering herself.
                              Last edited by Aristostomias; 10-31-2014, 07:11 AM. Reason: with -> without

Comment

Working...
                              X