Deep web and dark web

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep web and dark web

Recently I started to read a lot of things about the deep and the dark web, and it kinda catched my attention, I think there might be a lot of interesting things on sites which the search engines can't find and which are not on the so called surface web we use in our daily lives. Is here anyone who has experiences in using these sites and the tor browser? I don't mean of course those highly illegal sites, but just what is inbetween the surface web and the darkest parts of the web. Is it safe to use it ( I mean safe as you won't get in any trouble with the law, I know sometimes you can't really know on what will you click on, and it's not recommended to download anything from there), what are your thoughts about it?

I sell bitcoins on deep web.

Comment

I've experimented it and my opinion is that there are lots of horrible websites. Most of them are used to sell/buy drugs, guns, fake ids/passport, having hitmans services, many tricks on hacking/carding and stuffs like that. There's also the most horrible part which is pedophilia websites.
      Moreover, there's many scammers who try to abuse people with fake services.
      So for me, I don't see any reason to use Tor excpet for doing illegal things.
      Keep in mind that it is not 100% anonymous and not as safe as you could think. You have to disable many things in the borwser and configure it right.

Comment

No use for it myself, but could be usefull later(politics)

Mzzls

Comment

Used it once. Stopped right before I realized I'm about to buy fully armed tank

Comment

I have an RSS reader that uses Tor by default. I like it because I used to use Google News, and Google probably has a huge political profile on me. Tor is more useful for certain countries that censor and spy on people (US). Honestly, I feel better surfing the web knowing a huge profile is not being compile on me. I just want to hide my IP address, and I like the security features of the Tor browser. I don't feel comfortable giving out information in this world and internet. Most Tor traffic is by people that just have privacy in mind. For some reason when people think of Tor, they think of illegal things. Like, I have no use for for all the websites selling drugs, but there are many other things on Tor. I read about people getting fired for what they said or this and that website being censored, so Tor websites are a place to host that kind of stuff.

One problem is people do use Tor for illegal things such as spamming, so the Tor circuit IP address might be blocked.

Comment

The sole thing I use Tor browser for is for Ethical hacking tutorials. I mean, you can get any info that isn't on the surface web we use. It's so cool but you still gat to be careful. A lot of illegal things go down there and you may stumble on one without you knowing.

Comment

Originally posted by LunaCara
                The dark web is just servers who take efforts to hide their IP address, likely to make it hard to know exactly where the servers are physically located. This could be done for a wide variety of reasons, but it's true that some do this for legal reasons. A person hosting a gam bling website is not allowed to do that within the United States, so someone who is doing that may try to make it difficult to prove their server is located there. By hiding that information, if caught they may be able to lie and claim their server is actually located in another country that does not have the same gam bling laws.
                Tor (onion) network has certainly many proxies that are "compromised". However the packages in tor network are splitted up into random multi-proxy routes.
                Hence it's very unlikely that one compromised proxy can obtain full amount of packages, that would allow decryption of information your 'node' has send. It's very difficult to determine the server location after several 'hops' over random routes in such multi-proxy network like tor.
                It's more likely that police follows the way of the money on such gambling sites than to determine server IP, which are mostly in Tobago, Panama or somewhere else where justice is rather lax.
                Therefore the most preferred currency in darknet is bitcoin, that is decentralized as well.

Nevertheless, if you order drugs or something illegal from darknet is the postal way of delivery the highest risk factor for being caught. For both side the sender and the purchaser. Police can fallow here two strategies the compromised server or client option, even if they don't have the possibility to control the way of order and financial transaction. The way of ware delivery is always connected to two real addresses.
                Last edited by Hades91; 06-15-2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

My understanding is, if you live in the US and use a VPN or an IP masking server like those in the TOR network you give up your right to due process with regards to search and seizure of digital content. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Sec...re/td-p/252141

Comment

Ironically development of TOR (the Onion network) has been supported by German government a decade ago for the sake of undermining of great Chinese firewall. Nevertheless that onion network like many other multi-proxy projects became last years a sand core in eye of the big western democracies which can't handle free information flow without media narrative control.
                    In china is using of TOR or VPN possible but Chinese ISP slow down every encrypted communication outside common ports to server outside china. I know that from somebody who studied with me together and worked several months in China. He said that his VPN connection was so slow that barely text messages were possible with his family, this situation is similar with Skype and other popular messenger as far as they aren't completely blocked.
                    Now the so democratic western world with "muh' freedom 'n sh..t" behaves in the same way while private server of users who operate big popular Tor nodes with high bandwidth are declared as enemies of the state.
                    Speed and security of the onion network is dependent on amount and bandwidth of its nodes. (proxies). The more nodes are reachable the more hops (jumps between different nodes) for packages are possible. By the way, google the great defender of liberal values blocks access from most tor nodes to its services. However google and other NSA consorts are really wide topic to discuss for people who have a little bin knowledge about networks.

Comment

Working...
                    X