Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Misson to the Moon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Misson to the Moon

    "That's one small step for Man. One Giant Leap for Mankind." - Neil Armstrong.

    50 years ago, on July 16, 1969, the Saturn 5 Rocket Booster, a creation of unprecedented size and a Marvel of Engineering took one Lunar Module and 3 Astronauts to the Moon and in doing so, showed Mankind the potential it has to create and achieve what some people may deem the un-achievable.

    Those famous words spoken my Astronaut Neil Armstrong inspired countless others in pursuit of a frontier beyond the scope of our own planet and still continues to inspires new Generation of Engineers and Explorers to this day.


  • #2
    so is there really no rabbit living on the moon?

    Comment


    • #3
      I have enjoyed a great podcast series by the BBC dedicated to the Apollo11 mission "The 13 minutes to the Moon" - was a great listen, highly recommended. And yes, it was an incredible accomplishment, and I'm still waiting for my ticket to Mars :-D

      Comment


      • #4
        India just reached the moon.


        Congratulations.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dmitri11

          I like Hollywood movies very much. But watching Hindi Films ...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Xodian View Post
            "That's one small step for Man. One Giant Leap for Mankind." - Neil Armstrong.

            50 years ago, on July 16, 1969, the Saturn 5 Rocket Booster, a creation of unprecedented size and a Marvel of Engineering took one Lunar Module and 3 Astronauts to the Moon and in doing so, showed Mankind the potential it has to create and achieve what some people may deem the un-achievable.

            Those famous words spoken my Astronaut Neil Armstrong inspired countless others in pursuit of a frontier beyond the scope of our own planet and still continues to inspires new Generation of Engineers and Explorers to this day.

            Comment


            • #7

              I remember reading Goku land on Namek. I was so excited. I miss those days.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by green3apple View Post


                I remember reading Goku land on Namek. I was so excited. I miss those days.
                Goku landing on Namek can be compared to the Starship Enterprise visiting Vulcan. Apollo 11 is something else altogether. Fantasy and Fact have little in common.

                Comment


                • #9
                  No, Armstrong didn't make a mistake. Firstly, there was massive radio noise in the transmission. Secondly, Armstrong was from the Mid-West of the US.

                  So the word "for" has what linguists call a "coloured r" sound at the end of the word. This ellocutes something like an intrusive "r" sound with the following "a". In normal circumstances the "a" sound is short for Mid-Western US English speakers.

                  Armstrong had just come out of a situation where there were literally only seconds of fuel left before turning the lunar module into a massive pile of crash debris for future space archaeologists to sift through. Now when you hear the recording, the "r" at the end of "for" is said much stronger than you would expect for a coloured "r" to sound followed by the word "man". The fact that the adrenalin was pumping hard almost certainly meant that the "r" had over-ridden the short Mid-Western "a" that followed. Given the radio static, it is highly feasible that the "a" was completely eliminated. The fact that the "r" in "for" was so strongly said further suggests a vowel sound being ellocuted with "for".

                  Hence, Armstrong was most likely neither bullshitting nor deluded when he had been saying that he did say the "a" after "for".

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Gee, so was Armstrong not supposed to say 'What a Wonderful World' ?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by green3apple View Post
                      Gee, so was Armstrong not supposed to say 'What a Wonderful World' ?
                      If he did, you would have found that instead of Apollo 12 being the second manned craft to land on the Moon, then you would have had American music industry executives hijacking a spacecraft to chase down Apollo 11 so that they could extract royalties from NASA

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by aussieinbg View Post

                        If he did, you would have found that instead of Apollo 12 being the second manned craft to land on the Moon, then you would have had American music industry executives hijacking a spacecraft to chase down Apollo 11 so that they could extract royalties from NASA
                        Maybe they would simply tag a giant logo of their brand on all the spacecrafts launched by the NASA? :v

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X