Paying to Use the Toilet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dmitri11 View Post
    In Crimea buried billions of rubles, but I didn't see any free toilet. Crooks and thieves don't need free toilets.
    ​A spa, that does not earn on tourists, is a wet dream.

Putin's thieves are making new roads for cars, but they do not make sidewalks for ordinary people. They are not interested in Cycling tracks.
    Not so fast. Quickly only cats will be born.

Comment

Originally posted by VaselineBasket View Post
      ​A spa, that does not earn on tourists, is a wet dream.
      Let's hope that Putin's thieves and whores will revive Russia.

Comment

Let's hope that Putin's thieves and whores will revive Russia.
        a vam nie kazhetsya, chto

Comment

Originally posted by VitaliyArtemych View Post

a vam nie kazhetsya, chto

No. I'm an engineer, even in the USA. Но в отличие от тебя никогда не был жополизом (это вас обоих касается).
          Last edited by dmitri11; 06-11-2018, 11:35 PM.

Comment

It depends. I am not shocked to see McDonald's is asking people to buy something to use the toilet, I have seen that many times and it seems normal to me. I find it weird to assume that they just have to let everyone use their toilet for free. There are public toilets for that.

In France, there are public toilets which are free but they are often really really dirty. As Santa Lux said, shops like Carrefour often have free toilets which are more or less clean. Toilets in train stations often are not free. Still I think it is easier to find free toilets than in other European countries (I know in Belgium or the Netherlands, you can often not use the toilet in gas stations for free, whereas in France they are often free).

But really, I do not mind paying 50 cents or so for a toilet as the hygiene in free toilets is sometimes questionable. It does cost money after all to maintain toilets (soap costs money, and they have to pay people to clean them after all), so yeah, it doesn't bother me to pay a little bit for a clean toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by john_in_bkk View Post
              It's normal to see toilets you have to pay to use in different places in Thailand. The fee is usually minimal, something like 3 to 5 baht (10 to 15 cents US).
              For someone on a Western income, 5 Baht is just small change barely worth a 2nd thought. From my observations in Bangkok when I was there for a short time, I suspect that this is a sum that many on normal incomes there think twice about if they are going to spend it. I'd seen discount coupons for fast food places and the like for 3 Baht, for example. I'd also bargained for things from markets there and 5 Baht was definitely in the realm of deal clincher or breaker.

I remember a funny sign in Indonesia charging by what you planned to do in the restroom, adding extra cost if you wanted to wash yourself or defecate instead of just urinate. In the US they never charge,
              In the case of Indonesia, I suspect that the extra cost "to wash yourself" comes as a result of many Muslims who are praying going there to perform wudu, the ritual washing, prior to praying. That can use up a lot of water.

Interestingly, about the most expensive public toilet I've seen in Bulgaria is located very close to the mosque in the centre of Sofia. They charge about double the usual going rate. I suspect it's because many Muslims who go to pray there use it and need to.

and I don't remember running across that in Australia.
              They used to actually charge to use toilets in some places in Australia but that went out about the time I was very young. "To spend a penny" used to be common slang for wanting to go to the toilet. It used to be like that in Britain too.

As far as the other question, if that seems to ensure better facilities, they seem to generally be worse than those that are free, because they're in places like public parks and bus stations.
              They are paying and not maintained because they effectively have a customer monopoly. Where there is competition for people to use them, there is maintenance from what I've observed. For example, Sofia's main railway station and bus station are in relatively close proximity to each other. Both have toilets that are very well maintained.

Comment

People only pay to not see their filth (especially in churches). Parfum can't make a person cleaner. People should also be able to quench their thirst for free. A good owner's dog bowl is always full of water, and the dog pissing a lot.
                Last edited by dmitri11; 06-14-2018, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X