Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should treatment be forced on all people with psychosis or related diseases?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should treatment be forced on all people with psychosis or related diseases?

    http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2018...ept-theyre-ill

    This article talks a lot about whether or not someone with psychosis should be compelled to take psychiatrist prescribed medication and/or forced hospitalization. From my own experience with schizoaffective disorder I would say no it should not be forced unless the person is a risk of violence to themselves or others, at which no point was I. Its a common false stereotype that says people with schizophrenia are a danger. I voluntarily went to the hospital 2 times from encouragement from family members. This is how it should be done. Looking to see what everyone else thinks.

  • #2
    Not all. But transgenders/ transsexuals for sure

    Comment


    • #3
      I think it should be related to severity of mental illness and possible risks for the society. Mental ill people who committed a crime should be treated with the same hardness of the law like all others, otherwise the system becomes abused.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Hades91 View Post
        I think it should be related to severity of mental illness and possible risks for the society. Mental ill people who committed a crime should be treated with the same hardness of the law like all others, otherwise the system becomes abused.
        I disagree. People with psychosis have no control over rational thinking usually

        Comment


        • #5
          20% of the patients in psychiatric hospital are "forced" to be hospitalized here, and it's not something I would go against. When people are dangerous for themselves or for the society, there is no choice but to chain them, what's problematic in my opinion is the treatment they could receive there.

          Comment


          • #6
            Such people can be dangerous to society and there were serious crimes committed by them and then they start being treated not like criminals but like sick individuals who get milder punishment for what they had done. I think as soon as it is clear such a person can be dangerous, they should be treated regardless if they wish for that or not. They cannot have sober thinking and they cannot decide if they are dangerous or not themselves.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Etsia View Post
              Such people can be dangerous to society and there were serious crimes committed by them and then they start being treated not like criminals but like sick individuals who get milder punishment for what they had done. I think as soon as it is clear such a person can be dangerous, they should be treated regardless if they wish for that or not. They cannot have sober thinking and they cannot decide if they are dangerous or not themselves.
              so what your saying is mentally ill people who commit crimes should be punished the same as mentally fit people? How so? Why punish someone for having a disease. You have no idea what psychosis is like.

              Comment


              • #8
                Psychiatry has become a branch of power. Psychiatrists are monsters like corrupt judges.

                Your children will bring you to the psychosis, was placed in a mental institution, possess the property.
                Last edited by dmitri11; 08-11-2018, 04:38 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dmitri11 View Post
                  Psychiatry has become a branch of power. Psychiatrists are monsters like corrupt judges.

                  Your children will bring you to the psychosis, was placed in a mental institution, possess the property.
                  psychiatrists have a lot of power over mental patients but in my experience they are only trying to help. and with modern medicine most or all symptoms of the disease go away. Thats why 70% of people with scitczofrenia can be managed in the community with a psychiatrists guideance.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Treatment shouldn't be forced on any adult person able to make an informed decision, including adults with mental illnesses. This would exclude adults who are incapable of making an informed decision due to some incapacity such as Alzheimer's disease, for example.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post
                      Treatment shouldn't be forced on any adult person able to make an informed decision, including adults with mental illnesses. This would exclude adults who are incapable of making an informed decision due to some incapacity such as Alzheimer's disease, for example.

                      What about when the person who's ill is destroying his family and people around him, starts to be violent and harm himself? Or simply isn't able to realize there is a problem?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post

                        What about when the person who's ill is destroying his family and people around him, starts to be violent and harm himself? Or simply isn't able to realize there is a problem?
                        Anyone who engages in violence - verbal or physical violence - can be considered to no longer be in his right mind. For most of us, this situation is transitory and we quickly resume our sanity. For others, a hostile mindset is evidence that they are not able to make an informed decision about treatment options.

                        A lot of people are able to function in society with personality disorders (a particular poster here comes to mind) but they are not disturbed enough to warrant having their rights taken away.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post

                          What about when the person who's ill is destroying his family and people around him, starts to be violent and harm himself? Or simply isn't able to realize there is a problem?
                          its rare for someone in psychosis to realize they are in psychosis. both times I have experienced it I have not known I was sick. does not mean treatment should automatically be forced on me. there has to be a real evidence based risk that the person in psychosis is a threat to themselves or others.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            When decent normal members of society are at risk the safest system would be to lock up people with psychosis until mental tests are completed and are medicated to be no threat to anyone.

                            I will add some people with strong mental illness are unpredictable and not to be trusted and should not be allowed to be unsupervised!
                            Last edited by alan1984; 08-13-2018, 09:33 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by alan1984 View Post
                              When decent normal members of society are at risk the safest system would be to lock up people with psychosis until mental tests are completed and are medicated to be no threat to anyone.

                              I will add some people with strong mental illness are unpredictable and not to be trusted and should not be allowed to be unsupervised!
                              your statements are very judgemental and do not apply to everyone with psychosis, your clearly uninformed about psychosis. just like its a false stereotype that black people always steal its a false stereotype that psychotics are dangerous.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X