Science Festival

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science Festival

In France, there is an event that occurs each year for something like a week. During this week (approximately), scientists are encouraged to share their knowledge and their work with the public, there are different acitivities created by NGO, cities, companies like educational activities, conferences, debate, open house day et caetera. Often, there is a theme around which the festival is running, yet peopel aren't forced to stick to it. This year, for example, the theme is preconceived ideas/beliefs like diinosaurs have disappeared, vaccination is dangerous and so on (some people unfortunately used this theme to talk about refugees, but it's another topic).

The goal of such festival is mainly to promove Science into the country, do you have such festivals where you live? If yes, do you like it? Do you visit or participate to it? If no, would you like to participate or to go to such events?

For sure such festivals are an excellent idea.

Apart from providing culture and education for its own sake to people, I'm sure that it more than pays for itself. Reducing even by a small amount the number of vaccination conspiracy fruit-loops would produce savings for the health system far in excess of the cost of holding the festival.

Comment

Originally posted by aussieinbg View Post
      For sure such festivals are an excellent idea.

Apart from providing culture and education for its own sake to people, I'm sure that it more than pays for itself. Reducing even by a small amount the number of vaccination conspiracy fruit-loops would produce savings for the health system far in excess of the cost of holding the festival.
      The thing about vaccination conspirationism was on the theme. I've watched a kind of live today and saw a scientists toalk about different things such as project to print organs in order to transplant them or a man working on an artificial retina (and I was sad to learn that he has no funds anymore to do at least a part of his works considering how exciting it was), or that "artificial intelligence", at least in french, shouldn't be called this way if we wanted to be correct.

I agree that this week is an excellent idea, it makes Science accessible and right on our face, if it can help people to avoid some beliefs like it's the theme of this year, or having interest in some fields, it's all good for the country.

Comment

As far as i am aware we do not have that here but it would be a great idea, the amount of pseudoscience that gets gobbled up and believed here is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiQ View Post
          As far as i am aware we do not have that here but it would be a great idea, the amount of pseudoscience that gets gobbled up and believed here is ridiculous.
          Really? I wouldn't have think that Ireland was that much into pseudoscience... There is absolutely nothing to promote Science there? I guess the Alliances Françaises like the one in Dublin probably do something, but that would definitely not be like a national event.

Comment

Working...
          X