This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitcoin Mining instead of Ads for IP

I recently saw an extremely interesting article on the website Slashdot about replacing online advertising with running scripts that uses some of the CPU time on people's computers instead of serving up advertisements:

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/17/1...ne-advertising

Would this be a feasible thing for Interpals to do in order to generate an income stream?

Could it be used to completely replace advertising on the site?

What are the potential negative effects of running bitcoin mining scripts on people's computers? Would you end up perhaps using less or more of your computer's resources mining bitcoins as opposed to the computer resources required for processing advertisements.

Is it a fair ask of people to "allow" the use of some of their computer's resources to mine bitcoins in exchange for using the IP site?

I don't think it is very fair, as many users on IP are from poorer countries, where electricity is not a luxury that they can afford to spend so eagerly. Things like coinhive may work in west, where electricity is not that big deal, but even here, I would say apart from electricity consumption, it is very dirty, not to mention possibly illegal, though they may not prosecute for it yet, but they will in future. People should be made aware that they can either watch ads or contribute process, and it should be optional.

Comment

If anyone uses my computer's resources to gain money, the money gained would belong to me : ) simple.
      As for ads, adblocker is a nice thing..

Comment

Just a reminder people ... the site is free to use because of the advertising, would be a good idea if you clicked on a couple each day when you logged on to register some hits.... isn't that how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by RRicho View Post
          Just a reminder people ... the site is free to use because of the advertising, would be a good idea if you clicked on a couple each day when you logged on to register some hits.... isn't that how it works.

But shouldn't those who click on it be needing whatever's advertised?
          I think it would be better if everyone who likes this site would give a small donation. I've seen that there's a "donate" button on the absolute end of the page, it's a bit sad that it is hiding so much. Maybe we should make it more... Hmm, showing in a way? It's good that the site is free and all but donations are good too if you appreciate something.
          Personally, I use my adblock because I am tired of youtube ads etc, but now that you mention it.. It wouldn't hurt to disable it for Interpals. I can live with that : )
          Last edited by Fenris; 10-29-2017, 12:39 AM.

Comment

The site has ads? Thank goodness for adblock. Don't want to get ads.

Comment

If they added a script to use my computer's resources, I would do everything in my power to block the scripts.

Comment

First of all, it's consuming electricity, as one of the users have mentioned, electricity is not cheap at some countries, and it would make Interpals lose members, since it's better pay less. In addition, not everyone use desktop PC's. Laptops are not eligible for mining, and highly probable that it'll result in burning your laptop. It isn't a bright idea, for a better one: FuckAdblock or BlockAdblock.

Comment

Browser based mining does not "Burn your laptop" it will use a free thread on your cpu to mine what ever crypto. Most likely Monero . It does not consume a high amount of electricity so there will be no increase in the consumers bill. It doesn't even add the energy consumption. The people who are commenting this misinformation most likely heard about bitcoin 2-3 years ago, have never looked at the code and still think coinbase is the only way to get crypto :^)

Comment

I am strongly against the idea of mining any currency in the browser of the users. Of course the whole thing is financed by ads which are blocked often (I block it too). But there is still the opportunity to donate, which is used rarely I guess. But mining is a no go I would say.

Comment

Absolutely not.

Comment

Originally posted by Bostav View Post
                        Browser based mining does not "Burn your laptop" it will use a free thread on your cpu to mine what ever crypto. Most likely Monero . It does not consume a high amount of electricity so there will be no increase in the consumers bill. It doesn't even add the energy consumption. The people who are commenting this misinformation most likely heard about bitcoin 2-3 years ago, have never looked at the code and still think coinbase is the only way to get crypto :^)
                        Please, please get some information.

Comment

You wont need to hide your IP address if you really want to step in mining of bitcoin world so you can start this from Mining Pools which such an effective tool for all this time also get bring out good out of nothing It doesn't even add the energy consumption. The people who are commenting this misinformation

Comment

Don't fix what's not broken, the ads are seemingly working since the site is still up and running. As RRicho says, click on a few if you want to help. No need for this bitcoin hype nonsense

Comment

La vem voces falar de piramide

Comment

Working...
                              X