What are some money saving tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some money saving tips?

What would money saving tips you suggest for an everyday budget?

For 2 weeks - a month keep a detailed list of what you spend your money on. Then you can start making changes on where you can make savings.

For example, buying lunch every day, switch to buying lunch every few days and making a larger meal at dinner to use for leftovers the next day.
    Cut back on buying a coffee, drink each day. Make your own.
    Find magazines at the library rather than buying them.
    Make your own pizza at home rather than buy it.
    Use washer/dryer in off peak times.
    Get shopping home delivered, shop online, so you won't be tempted to make impulse purchases.

Just a few examples, but not knowing your circumstances or anything else, a more targeted answer is irrelevant.

Comment

Make your own lunches...

if you are in walking distance of grocery stores or restaurants don't waste fuel money driving there...

if you grow vegetables in a garden, be sure to chop and freeze some if you have a lot - then you won't waste any throwing it away and you will have those veggies to use in winter when they can't grow.

Also, if you have neighbors who grow veggies it's nice to trade your extra for some of theirs if they have different things.

Make a list for the supermarket and check if there are any coupons for anything on your list. Don't let yourself deviate too much.

Buy local stuff and off brand versions of canned foods - and buying meat in large quantities also can save money, as long as you freeze the rest of it that you don't use (my mom separates ground beef into approx. 1lb segments and bags each segment individually to freeze it).

Stock up on stuff you know you'll absolutely need when it's on sale. Not food, obviously, but toilet paper, paper towels, facial tissue, bars of soap etc. Disposable things you can store for long periods of time and that you use every day. Don't do this with food, though. Hoarding food just means you'll have to throw it out when it expires before you could use it all.

Choose internet over cable, but keep a radio?

Try not to go shopping for clothes and shoes unless you need to. It'll save space in your closet and keep moneys in your wallet.

I dunno what your budget is or what an everyday budget is where you live or what any of that is like, so... these may not apply....

Comment

The huge one for 90%+ people around the world - don't own a car.

Do your sums. Those few hours of "convenience" verses all the associated costs of owning one - not just the petrol but the cost in both time and money to maintain it, the extra costs in real estate to garage it, insurance and other ancillary costs.

As for "it only takes me 20 minutes to drive from point A to point B, but takes 40 minutes by public transport"... when you are told "it takes 20 minutes", you're usually not given how long it takes to find a parking spot and how long it takes to go from the parking spot to where you want to go.

Comment

Learn how to do things yourself. Aka everything from learning how to cut (and possibly colour) your own hair, do your own nails, fix things (clothes, furniture, smaller things on your car/bike etc), do your own taxes to whatever else you spend money on other people doing it for you.

Comment

1. Buy a sailboat instead of a yacht.
            2. Buy a Bentley instead of a Rolls Royce
            3. Buy a piston powered airplane instead of a turbine
            4. Choose your secondary residences on mountainsides instead of by the sea...

The thrifty will find plenty of ways to save money.

Comment

For me, it's to bring a grocery list and only buy from that list so as not to be tempted with unnecessary things. Happy saving!

Comment

Osarta, I suggest you find a good way of additional income. You can always find a lot of opportunities on the internet. Don't be afraid of trying something new. As for me, I earned a lot of money from gambling. I think it's the easiest way of making money online. Give it a try - video slot machines

Comment

Live a boring life lol. Simple as that. No eating out, no too sophisticated shopping list, no clubbing and so on. When you have no friends to spend money with, saving naturally becomes easier.

Comment

Check your balance checks. Maybe there are things you pay for monthly even though you don't need them anymore (such as subscriptions, insurances you don't need anymore...)?
                    La tête en bas et les pieds en l'air ! Oh lÃ* lÃ* !

Comment

Use the holy trinity :

- Why do I need it ?
                      - Do I already have something that can fulfill this function ?
                      - Will I use it more than once ?

Of course, you repeat the process during 3 days, because trinity is life.
                      Last edited by Sancta_Lux; 04-10-2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goathika View Post
                        Live a boring life lol. Simple as that. No eating out, no too sophisticated shopping list, no clubbing and so on. When you have no friends to spend money with, saving naturally becomes easier.

I disagree, having some friends/acquaintances can be useful to make them pay for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post

I disagree, having some friends/acquaintances can be useful to make them pay for you.
                          YES! Generous, well-off friends are better than stingy poor friends who save money all the time.

Comment

1. Use leaves instead of toilet paper. Or just don't use the toilet at home. You can do this at work to save money on water and toilet paper.
                            2. When you are walking, stay behind a fat person to reduce wind resistance. You will use less energy, and won't have to consume as much food.
                            3. Wash your dishes outside when it rains. You will save money on water.
                            4. You can save money on cosmetics by substituting lipstick with pig blood, and eyeliners with charcoal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post

It means you need to have friends who will want and can afford to pay for you. I'd assume rich asses prefer to consort with other rich asses, so your moneyless ass is no interst to them, unless you have some extraordinary personality or big boobs.

Comment

Working...
                              X