Travelling to LAS PALMAS de Gran Canaria HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling to LAS PALMAS de Gran Canaria HELP

I'm going on holidays to Las Palmas, but I'm afraid to end up in some trap for tourists.Any advice from the locals or from who has already been there?
    Any place that I shouldn't miss? Sites for public transport from the Airport and in the city?

There is a regular bus service from the airport to the central bus terminal. That is close to the old town, but still quite a long distance from the touristy part near the beach and harbour. There are plenty busses running from just outside the terminal to the tourist district.

​I do not think there is a very big risk of encountering tourist traps in Las Palmas. The package holidays tend to go to Playa del Inglés, Maspalomas and Mogán, not to Las Palmas.
    ​You might avoid the restaurants on the boulevard, those cater for tourists. But again, they are not true tourist traps. Just a few metres off the beach, they are fine.

To the north is a peninsula. It is on the edge of town. These mountains are not high. They are volcanoes. There are native caves.

The old city is fine. Columbus stayed here. Between the main bus terminal and the old city is the area of Triana. This is the shopping area. It is not spectacular, but if you like to do some shopping, that is the place to be. However, the big magazine El Corte Inglés is in the tourist district
    , on Ramón y Cajal is. Las Palmas is the birth place of one of Spain's foremost 19th century authors, Benito Pérez Galdós. His birthplace is a museum in the Triana district.

Sunday at noon, there used to be a folklore performance at the Pueblo Canario. It might be that it occurs only every second Sunday. It is free, but you might want to sit down and have a drink at the bodega. Prices (I last was there 6 years ago) are not excessive. Check at the tourist office or the hotel reception, as it is a must see.

​From the bus station at Plaza de Catalina - that is the main square near the harbour - there are busses into the mountains. I can recommend a trip to Teror, where there is an important basilica. It also has some typical colonial architecture. Another interesting town is Arucas. Check whether the distillery opens to visitors. This makes the typical honey rum - ron miel -.

​You might take a bus to Tejeda. There is a Parador de Turismo there. I would always advise to go for a cup of coffee, just to experience the special atmosphere of a Parador. This is where the famous rock formations are: Cruz de Tejeda and also, not very far, Roque Nublo.

​If you want a day in the Sahara, take a bus to Maspalomas (Faro de: i.e. lighthouse). The dunes are something special. Take care when you go for a swim. The currents can strong and there are a couple of casualties each year.

​If you want to see some pics of the old town, the folkloric performance, Teror and Arucas, I have an album with pics of all in my "photos" section.
    I hate forums

Comment

Originally posted by PaolaMar View Post
      I'm going on holidays to Las Palmas, but I'm afraid to end up in some trap for tourists.Any advice from the locals or from who has already been there?
      Any place that I shouldn't miss? Sites for public transport from the Airport and in the city?
      Actually, it's better to find a service that provides transfer bookings and chauffeured car rentals, it would be perfect if this service works around the world. If you still don't know such service, I recommend you Gettransfer. You can order transfer through the website, it is cheaper than calling a taxi.
      Last edited by Flesat; 04-19-2018, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flesat View Post

Actually, it's better to find a service that provides transfer bookings and chauffeured car rentals, it would be perfect if this service works around the world. If you still don't know such service, I recommend you Gettransfer. You can order transfer through the website, it is cheaper than calling a taxi.
        ​Be careful. This is spam!
        I hate forums

Comment

Working...
        X