I'm going to post quotes over time in here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to post quotes over time in here

The greatest gift one person can give to another is an introduction to God.

yea, there was a bloke who even wrote me a letter of recommendation and was going to pay my train fare

Comment

i knew a lass
      she would always pass gas
      direct from her ass

Comment

Originally posted by DatuChris View Post
        I'd say the opposite in fact.

The greatest gift that anyone could give another person is the intellectual tools to withstand the brainwashing of religious dogma and fairy tales about imaginary sky daddies.

Just think what you give when you do so. You stop people wasting countless hours of their lives doing things like praying in churches or banging heads in mosques. Also, you significantly help people to better fully utilise the most valuable thing they personally possess - their brain.

Comment

i would contest that we actually possess our brains,
          I would also contest that time spent praying is wasted even if god doesn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Coruja-the-Owl View Post
            i would contest that we actually possess our brains,
            The brain is the ultimate in possession. It defines everything about us - our personalities, our memories, opinions and so on.

Kill or remove part of it and something in us dies - literally!

I would also contest that time spent praying is wasted even if god doesn't exist.
            Granted that praying offers a psychological placebo for those unable or unwilling to actually utilise the brain that they have to its fullest potential capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by DatuChris View Post
              You haven't stated who the quote is from.

But I'd like to add something... sadly the believer's attitude can be a stumbling block.... when the attitude is "I have the greatest gift for you, but you have nothing to give me".
              (as far as I am aware, an original quote by) - justwannachat

That's the sad part,when a believer scatters seed and expects ALL the seed to grow.
              That's the point.... sow seed WITHOUT expectations.

OK,I'll take credit for these quotes too.

So buddy, keep on posting quotes...don't be detered by contradictory comments.
              That's the beauty of quotes..... some people 'get it'....... others 'don't'.... or just want to disagree.

Comment

Can I submit a quote too? OK, I'm going to anyway.
                “Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.”- John Wesley

(Hillary Clinton used a variant of this quote recently)

Comment

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

(Douglas Adams - From The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 1979)

Comment

"Its like a Jungle sometimes it makes me wonder what keeps me from going under" (Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five)

Comment

Originally posted by aussieinbg View Post
                      "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

(Douglas Adams - From The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 1979)
                      I agree, because there is no fairies at the bottom of it.
                      And one doesn't have to believe in God for something to be beautiful .. or exist even.
                      “God does not play dice with the universe.”
                      - Einstein
                      I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it" (Einstein's explanation)

Comment

Originally posted by aussieinbg View Post

The brain is the ultimate in possession. It defines everything about us - our personalities, our memories, opinions and so on.

Kill or remove part of it and something in us dies - literally!

we do not control the functioning of our brains at all. you might argue that the functioning of our brain is our control, however consider when the brain of someone dysfunctions, they can do very little about it, and the medical science of controlling brain dysfunction is exceptionally crude (thank god).

Granted that praying offers a psychological placebo for those unable or unwilling to actually utilise the brain that they have to its fullest potential capacity.
                        what the hell is "utilise the brain to its fullest potential capacity supposed to mean" are you proposing yourself as an example of that ? I would suspect that you have serious delusions of grandeur.

Comment

wow I just discovered that one can insert stuff into other peoples quotes..that is a serious malfunction.

Comment

what the hell is "utilise the brain to its fullest potential capacity supposed to mean"
                            Firstly, I would argue that setting up someone's personality and by extension their brain to perform a life-long series of mind-numbing repetitive prayers and other religious-inspired trivia are definitely not using the brain to its fullest capacity.

Using the brain instead for creating information and other substantive matter instead of spinning incessantly with stupid mantras of various sorts

are you proposing yourself as an example of that ?
                            I neither explicitly nor implicitly said that. This was made as a general statement.

I would suspect that you have serious delusions of grandeur.
                            Ummm no. Firstly, feeling a sense of grandeur by doing something like that is at best transient because after all you are going to die at some point and that burst of ego will die in your brain along with you.

Secondly, the ones with the real issue of "delusions of grandeur" are those who are playing intermediary between another person and "God" by "performing the introduction". Interceding with the highest of the high sky daddies is the ultimate in grandeur. It is also the biggest delusion because God simply does not exist.

Comment

a girl wrote in her status that the greatest gift you can give is your time
                              so i text her that it was 10:35 AM
                              she did not understand what i was saying

Comment

Working...
                              X