Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poetry Proper, Anyone? (Scots Dialect, too!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poetry Proper, Anyone? (Scots Dialect, too!)

Hi, all! I'm diligently searching for folk who enjoy writing poetry proper (i.e. with rhyme, meter, and interesting literary devices). I also enjoy reading good short stories. I'd love to meet a person or persons who remember that languages have rules, and that those rules are necessary to facilitate communication. I don't wish to insult anyone. I just want to read poetry and stories that contain the elements necessary to give the work some meaning. If you want to toss English grammar out the window and call it "art" or "creative writing", then by all means, do so. That's your privilege as an artist. If you write within the framework of the English language, or you would like to, then drop me a message. I say "English language", simply because it's my native language and the one I understand the best. I wrote one poem in Spanish. That was a bit of a task, considering that my Spanish is pretty much limited to phrases like "buenos tacos" and "no agua". I looked up each word in a Spanish/English dictionary. Then, I went through a book of Spanish grammar to try to put the words into some semblence of correct syntax. I'm guessing that my Spanish poem, Los Mirlos Mysticos, reads to native Spanish-speakers like I'm a semi-literate caveman. Oh, well. I just wanted to try something new and challenging.
    99.999% of my poetry is written in English. I write an occasional odd short story and I'm working on a novel, too. All of those works are in English. In recent years, I've started writing in Scots dialect. I'm of Scots-Irish descent, plus I just love the lilt of the language. I'd love to learn Scottish Gaelic, too. Here's a poem from my chapbook, Leaves of the Vine.

Ode To A Bottle Of Scotch

Ah, dear friend, usque, Scotland’s best!
    A kennin drap o’ you as guest
    A-wee within my bicker kyte
    Wad mak a joyous, jawpish night.

My baggie full o’ barley bree
    Hast made a blellum out o’ me!
    My capon-craws wad wauk th’ dead
    ‘n’ I wintle ‘n’ I fa’ upon my head!

O, bane of Scotland, usque, fell!
    Nae mair I’ll birle; not ane mair gell!
    I’ve bocked and fa’n and lie awald
    Bedraigl’t in the dub and cauld!

Fair-fa’ ye, billie, to the dub!
    I’m drouthie here; ay, there’s the rub!
    We’ll hae a dram tomorrow night,
    But now we’ll sleep ‘til morning light.

8/19/2005 14:24:12 C

I'd love to hear any comments, questions, or suggestions about this poem. Don't worry about giving honest criticism. My hide's as tough as boot leather!

I think the contrast between your diatribe insisting on "correct English usage, rhyme and meter" and your Scot's brogue writing could be described as hypocrisy.
    I think people should write as they can and as they see fit... if you don't like someone's writing, don't read it. I do most of my writing when drunk, so if I were you I should avoid my stuff....you could be sober or drunk when you write your Scottish stuff...frankly, I wouldn't know the difference.

Comment

haha. im an american, and i like scottish poetry.

Comment

Originally posted by WorldCelt View Post
        Hi, all! I'm diligently searching for folk who enjoy writing poetry proper (i.e. with rhyme, meter, and interesting literary devices). I also enjoy reading good short stories. I'd love to meet a person or persons who remember that languages have rules, and that those rules are necessary to facilitate communication. I don't wish to insult anyone. I just want to read poetry and stories that contain the elements necessary to give the work some meaning. If you want to toss English grammar out the window and call it "art" or "creative writing", then by all means, do so. That's your privilege as an artist. If you write within the framework of the English language, or you would like to, then drop me a message. I say "English language", simply because it's my native language and the one I understand the best. I wrote one poem in Spanish. That was a bit of a task, considering that my Spanish is pretty much limited to phrases like "buenos tacos" and "no agua". I looked up each word in a Spanish/English dictionary. Then, I went through a book of Spanish grammar to try to put the words into some semblence of correct syntax. I'm guessing that my Spanish poem, Los Mirlos Mysticos, reads to native Spanish-speakers like I'm a semi-literate caveman. Oh, well. I just wanted to try something new and challenging.
        99.999% of my poetry is written in English. I write an occasional odd short story and I'm working on a novel, too. All of those works are in English. In recent years, I've started writing in Scots dialect. I'm of Scots-Irish descent, plus I just love the lilt of the language. I'd love to learn Scottish Gaelic, too. Here's a poem from my chapbook, Leaves of the Vine.

Ode To A Bottle Of Scotch

Ah, dear friend, usque, Scotland’s best!
        A kennin drap o’ you as guest
        A-wee within my bicker kyte
        Wad mak a joyous, jawpish night.

My baggie full o’ barley bree
        Hast made a blellum out o’ me!
        My capon-craws wad wauk th’ dead
        ‘n’ I wintle ‘n’ I fa’ upon my head!

O, bane of Scotland, usque, fell!
        Nae mair I’ll birle; not ane mair gell!
        I’ve bocked and fa’n and lie awald
        Bedraigl’t in the dub and cauld!

Fair-fa’ ye, billie, to the dub!
        I’m drouthie here; ay, there’s the rub!
        We’ll hae a dram tomorrow night,
        But now we’ll sleep ‘til morning light.

8/19/2005 14:24:12 C

I'd love to hear any comments, questions, or suggestions about this poem. Don't worry about giving honest criticism. My hide's as tough as boot leather!
        Great stuff. keep up the good work.

Ps, I know you mentioned about honest criticism however regarding the worthless nonsense owlboy posted that can best be described as a sulky childish rant just bear in mind anyone that writes "if you don't like someone's writing don't read it" is a bed wetting clumsy yokel from the get go, I mean lets face it, how would you know if you like or don't like someone's writing unless you read it in the first place lol.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbeard View Post

Great stuff. keep up the good work.

Ps, I know you mentioned about honest criticism however regarding the worthless nonsense owlboy posted that can best be described as a sulky childish rant just bear in mind anyone that writes "if you don't like someone's writing don't read it" is a bed wetting clumsy yokel from the get go, I mean lets face it, how would you know if you like or don't like someone's writing unless you read it in the first place lol.
          well footboard, I was commenting, and to me what I said seemed logical, if you have a personal issue to resolve with me..that is sad...it is a shame you cannot be a little bit more coherent for example "bed wetting ..etc..." for God's sake...grow up.

Comment

Ok , freddie, I visited your profile..... you have no photos, nothing personal... no implication... carry on posting , I will ignore you, I encourage anyone who comes here to visit your profile and imagine if you exist or not... if they want to test my investment here they can visit my profile...and compare it to yours.
            By by Freddie.

Comment

your hobbies and interests speak for themselves mr. anonymous 'Telling fortunes, calling out liars and laughing at people devoid of the courage to actually give their own opinion for fear of being proved wrong thereby being humiliated.' cited direct from your profile...but you have no personal photos or anything... you shout your opinions but do not actually exist in any real way

Comment

Three sulky rants in a row and you sneeze out the word coherent and I should grow up, oh the irony owlboy. Compared to you I didn't shout my opinions I merely whispered them and I think your pouting stems from my pointing out this clumsy faux pas from you "if you don't like someone's writing, don't read it" and my logical reply "I mean lets face it, how would you know if you like or don't like someone's writing unless you read it in the first place lol" . You're simply embarrassed you look foolish, so you should be. Also it seems acutely hypocritical that you feel you have the right to "comment because what you said seemed logical" but seem infuriated that I did the same.

I didn't visit your profile because you are dull and after a quick browse of your scribbling's in this forum you're full of self pity too and that is non existence in its purest form. Now I look forward to you ignoring me because you should quit while you're behind and I have wasted enough time educating you anyway, however I have a premonition you'll brood over this and come back with another shallow rant in some form ;-) Ps, the correct spelling is *Bye bye.

Once again keep up the good work WorldCelt, it was nice to read something different and interesting with a different slant here.

Comment

Originally posted by _loki View Post
                  haha. im an american, and i like scottish poetry.
                  Count me in, Scottish poetry a little like Irish poetry uses such wonderful colloquialisms.

Comment

In my travels I whistled dixie and mimed in a fake accent this rhyme or is it a mime

What is a Poet.
                    What is a poet anyway
                    Which way was the wind blowin today
                    Could have should have
                    Been Scottish Irish English or any sort off wordsmithy worth

Anyways what is
                    What is proper
                    What is right
                    What is reading well and wordy like

All i know is what I like to wright
                    for me its right
                    Doesn't need to be Oxford or Yale expertise I read Rumi and Socrates they are from other lands other than the Proper land

What is right what is what I like to write is what touches my heart, I dont judge others likes some who like Wordsworth and the like
                    For me its to formal and the boundaries confine the style.

Those who come and judge with one post are often either genius or fools time will tell which you may fall upon.
                    Peace out

Comment

Working...
                    X